Thursday 31 May 2012

The Haslemere Cellar - excellent service and wines

How's this for service and expertise in retailing?

I went to The Haslemere Cellar/Cheesebox last weekend looking for something a little bit special for dinner. Our guest was a great friend renowned for his excellent taste and knowledge in food and drink. But as usual I didn't want to spend silly amounts on a bottle of over-priced wine.

The conversation went something like this...

Can I help you?
Yes please, I'd like some wine to go with dinner tonight.
What are you eating?
Beef.
How are you cooking it?
In an oil fondue.
Ok, and what are you having with the beef?
Potatoes.
What type of potatoes?
Sauteed potatoes, possibly some asparagus as well.
Right, you have a couple of choices...

After a bit more discussion, I bought choice A. I don't really care whether the wine - Chianti, btw - really was great or whether the buying experience had conditioned me to think it would be. It was very enjoyable and seemed an ideal match for the food.

You don't get that at the supermarkets, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment